I have been dreaming about my new Slow Cooker for the last couple of weeks, investigating gorgeous recipes, chatting to my N. American friends who swear by them, and waiting patiently for the Crock Pot to finally arrive in France.
It was worth the wait – tonight I am testing out my latest cooking appliance with a lovely adapted recipe from The Slow Cooker Cookbook. A perfect meal for such a cold, wet stormy Halloween night…….
Braised Beef with Horseradish
- 30ml/2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 x 175g braising steaks (I used a large pack of beef bourguignon cubed meat)
- 30ml/2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 12 small shallots, peeled and halved (I used 4 roscoff onions quartered)
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp dark muscovado sugar (I substituted brown sugar from the cupboard)
- 475ml/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 225g baby carrots, trimmed
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives to finish (I added 1tsp of dried to the crock pot at the start)
- roast vegetables to serve
- Place the flour in a large flat dish and season with salt and pepper. Toss the cubes of meat to coat.
- Heat the oil in a pan and quickly brown the steaks on both sides. Transfer them to the ceramic cooking pot.
- Add the halved shallots (or onions) to the pan, and cook gently for 10 minutes or until golden and beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 minute more, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Tip the shallot mixture into the ceramic cooking pot, spreading it over the meat, and sprinkle it with the sugar.
- Pour the beef stock over the shallots and meat, then add the worcestershire sauce, horseradish, baby carrots and bay leaf. Stir to combine, then season with salt and black pepper. Cover with a lid and cook on high or auto for 1 hour.
- Reduce the slow cooker to low, or leave on auto, and continue to cook the stew for a further 5-6 hours, or until the beef and the vegetables are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaf from the stew, and sprinkle with the chopped chives, before serving with roast vegetables.
Related recipes –
- Spiced Beef Brisket – Slow Cooker (girlinterruptedeating.wordpress.com)
- Slow Cooker Tomatoey Beef Brisket Pot Roast (cookingwithcorinna.wordpress.com)
- Braised Beef Pumpkin (ninikbecker.wordpress.com) – Although not a slow cooking recipe, this could be easily adapted and sounds great as a hearty autumn dish.
- Slow Cooker Asian-Style Short Ribs (lemonsandanchovies.com)
- Slow Cooker Recipe for Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar (kalynskitchen.com)